Choose destination in Karnataka
Dharwad also known as Dharwar is one of the important cities of Karnataka. Dharwad city is the head quarters of Dharwad district.
Dharwad is the second largest city of Karnataka state. It is situated on the National Highway -- NH4, the main highway between Pune and Bangalore city.
The history of Hubli-Dharwad, the twin cities dates back to the period of Hoysala. The city is also popular for its contributions towards Indian culture, especially to classical music and literature, and prominent educational organizations, like the Karnataka University.
Dharwad is also called as a hilly town because it is situated on the edge of the Western Ghats in Karnataka. The city is situated 750 meters above sea level.
Important facts about Dharwad:
The climate is slightly hot during the summer, wet during the monsoons and pleasant during winter.
The Dharwad Pedha - a milk-based sweet meat - from this Dharwad town is very popular in entire Karnataka.
Dharwad is also called as the cultural capital of North Karnataka. The city of Dharwad has contributed some of the greatest personalities of Hindustani classical music including Sawai Gandharva, Mallikarjun Mansur, Bhimsen Joshi, Basavaraj Rajaguru, Kumar Gandharva and Gangubai Hangal.
Jnanpith Award winners D.R. Bendre, V. K. Gokak and Girish Karnad are from Dharwad.
Places of Interest at Dharwad city:
1. The Karnataka University situated in Pavate Nagar.
2. University of Agricultural Science
3. The Two Main entrances into the Fort
4. The temple of Someshvar (Which is also the source of the river Shaalmalaa)
5. The temple of Dattaatreya Swamy
6. The temple of Goddess Durga
7. The temple of Hanuman at Nuggikeri
8. The Kelgeri Tank
9. The Mutt of Murugharaajendra Swaamy.
10. The All saints Church
11. The Vidyavardhaka Sangha
12. The Dhummavaada Tank (also known as Nirsaagar)
13. The Tatvaanveshana Mandira
14. The temple of Goddess Banashankari at Amargol.
15. Bendre Bhavan
16. The Mallikarjun Mansur Trust Building
Distance from Dharwad:
Bangalore: 450 Km
Mysore: 467 Km
Shimoga: 230 Km
Mangalore: 365 Km
Udupi: 315 Km
Bellary: 232 Km
Raichur: 322 Km
Panaji: 162 Km
Hubli: 18 Km
Belgaum: 80 Km
How to get there (Dharwad):
Nearest Airport: Hubli, Belgaum
Nearest Railhead: Dharwad, is one of the major cities on the Mumbai - Bangalore railway line.
Road: Since Dharwad is situated on National Highway, it is well connected by road network.
Please send us your enquiry and we will respond within 24 to 48 hours.